Sunday, March 25, 2012

Broken Ground = Tired Hands

Hi Friends! I hope you had a fantastic weekend. Portland is treating us to the most confusing weather… on Thursday we woke up with 2 inches of snow on the ground and on Saturday it was 65 and sunny. Whaa?

But I’ll take it! We got in some back-breaking labor this weekend.

After lots and lots of deliberation, a hard look at our finances, and realizing that we’re both stubborn as all get out (as my dad would say), I took a small step toward our new kitchen and a huge step toward keeping our marriage happy.

I gave in to Matt’s quite possibly ridiculous desire to remodel the kitchen ourselves. Well, mostly at least. I can’t wait to fill you in on all the details of how we made that decision (and what will make us change our mind and call a contractor, stat!). But, my hands are literally too tired to type :) Seriously.

So for now, I leave you with pictures of a giant hole in our backyard :)

Last summer it looked like this.

DSCN1513[3]


Then Matt removed the deck.

424225_403586266333499_200716329953828_87298770_490083977_n
And we dug. And dug. And rototilled and dug some more.

IMG_4530
IMG_4534 
It doesn’t look like a lot. But that’s a lot of dirt. We have to dig a 8’ x 18’ x 4’ hole. Too much dirt. And yes, I know the rental place up the street could rent us a little excavator to dig out the hole in no time. Please talk to my husband.

Now do you see why my hands are so tired? I’m off to rest and watch Renovation Realities and regret our decision…

What projects did you work on this weekend?

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. OMG, that is a HUGE hole. Wow.

    We just decided that we're remodeling our kitchen this spring too! While we're not adding on to the house, there will be a couple walls knocked down. We'll have trade war stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lordy, I don't envy you a bit. Lots of hard work, but it'll be awesome at the end.
    I've been staring at the wall between our kitchen and dining room wanting to take a sledge hammer to it. :o)
    And yes, this weather is NUTS - but I'll take the beautiful day we're having today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys can totally do it yourselves! It's a lot of work but so rewarding. But did I mention it's a lot of work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Team Newcomb! We dug out and put in a patio by ourselves once. That too was a lot of digging! I can't wait to read about your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I don't envy you haha! Can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP