While Matt and I are off on vacation enjoying the sun, I have a few fantastic guest bloggers lined up. First up is one of my faves, Emily!
Hi, Everyone! I'm Emily, and I'm the blogger over at The Happy Home.
My fiance, David, and I live in a small rental house near Venice Beach in Los Angeles, and our blog is a chronicle of all the ways we've make our rental our "home" over the past year and a half.
One of the most popular features on my blog is Cocktail Friday. I work in the wine and spirits industry for my day job, and also have my bartending license. I really love making creative cocktails for guests-- or just to unwind at the end of the week.
I get asked quite often how I come up with cocktails to mix every week. While a few of the cocktails I've featured are old standbys, like
and the Pink Lady
most of my cocktails are "originals."
This week, when Katie asked me to guest post, I wanted to make something that had the classic tastes of summer-- but with some hooch thrown in!
Here are our ingredients-- I'm sure you'll recognize them!
- 1-2 oz vodka (we used orange vodka, but vanilla or even plain would be just fine!)
- 6-8 oz. orange soda
- 1-2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- In a large glass, pour your vodka. I used a standard English pint glass.
- Next, add your orange soda. You'll be tempted to pour a full glass, but don't! You'll see why in just a sec.
- Top off with your ice cream. It's going to foam pretty wildly-- be ready with some paper towels!
This tastes exactly like a classic creamsicle popsicle. I doubt you'll get too "loopy" as there's not a lot of alcohol in this sweet treat. But it's a great way to cool down-- and relax-- as the summer days creep by.