Thursday, August 18, 2011

Banana Craisin Bread (healthy style)

I’ve decided (again) to try to eat healthier. My desk job has not been kind to the waistline and I’ve finally realized I don’t need to keep up with my 6-foot-tall husband’s portions. I’m pretty good except I have two major weakness: carbs and sweets. And cheese. And wine. Oh, and lemon drops!

Okay, I have lots of weaknesses :) But, I’m going to eat healthy and make better choices. Really, I am. Totally ready. (Insert self pep talk here).

This is always an ongoing goal. How successful I am changes as much as Kate Middleton’s hat but lately, I’m on a kick. I’m going to limit myself to reasonable portion sizes (no I don’t need an entire bag of chips for myself) and eat local foods when I can.

I'm excited to share with you a new (to me) recipe I’ve added to my healthy carb repertoire, which currently consists of lemon poppyseed muffins. Yep. That's all I've got. Well, until now. Now I can eat guilt-free banana bread. Yay!

Usually I make banana bread with bisquick, but this healthier option fits in with my goals much better. I started with a recipe from weight watchers but altered it a bit.

banana-bread Only a 1/2 cup of sugar, not bad!

Banana Craisin Bread (with walnuts)

1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour   
1/2 cup(s) unpacked brown sugar (I packed it a little, couldn’t help myself!)
1/2 tsp table salt   
1/2 tsp baking soda   
1/4 tsp baking powder   
6oz vanilla yogurt (I used Tillamook vanilla bean – original recipe calls for 3 tsp canola oil)
1 large egg(s), beaten    
2 large egg white(s), beaten   
3 large banana(s), ripe   
1 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats   
1/4 cup craisins (not in original recipe)
1/4 cup smashed walnuts (not in original recipe)


Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add yogurt and eggs; mix thoroughly.

In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a fork.

Add bananas and oatmeal to batter (I accidentally added the oatmeal with the dry ingredients, it was fine).

Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray (I don’t have cooking spray so I just put a little canola oil on a paper towel and wipe it on the pan). Pour batter into pan and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 55 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes.

IMG_2750

If you don’t like craisins or walnuts, you could just leave those out, or replace them with blueberries, strawberries, or any other fruit you feel like.

Oh! I forgot one thing. About halfway through baking I opened the oven, dumped a bunch of cinnamon in, and haphazardly stirred it into the partially set dough (I know, baking genius over here ;). Anyway, the top tasted much better than the bottom. So I recommend adding cinnamon. Before you put it in the oven.

IMG_2752

I need to find more healthy recipes that will help my carb cravings. Any ideas?

x
Thanks for visiting Newcomb Home! If you are new here and enjoy your visit, please subscribe for free via email or RSS to stay updated. Thank you!
x


Linked up to Fingerprints on the Fridge and

Weekend Bloggy Reading  &    Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Sounds super yummy! I have several banana bread recipes I've blogged about, can't wait to try this one!

    Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I love where you added the cinnamon! ;) I'd do that, too.

    Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days you need to come over for an entire day of baking and cooking. I've really gotten into making meals that I can pull out of the freezer on any given weeknight. It is a fun little project and make great blog posting!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP