Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Updated Drink Tray (Oregon State spirit round two)

A few days ago I shared the festive ice bucket I made with a galvanized bucket and the new Krylon Dual spray paint.

ice-bucket

While painting the bucket for my friends (it was a gift), I also made a drink tray for us (gotta have a little Oregon State spirit in the Newcomb home too!).

drink-tray

The Krylon Dual spray paint worked just as well on the plastic tray as it did on the metal bucket. Good work Krylon :)

Here’s what I used:

spray-paint-melamine

Krylon Dual spray paint in smoke grey and mandarin
sand paper
frog tape
tape measure (not pictured)
OSU decal (or your favorite team)

First, I roughed up the tray with the sand paper and then cleaned off all the dust. Then I I spray painted the whole tray with the grey.

spray-paint-plastic

I wanted a design (What is that called? Greek key?) so a couple days after I painted it with grey, I taped off the design.

greek-key-design

IMG_2240-1

Once it was taped off, I sprayed it with two coats of orange.

After I peeled the tape off (about 10 minutes after I spray painted), I realized I didn’t like the look of having a grey border on the outside so I sprayed the whole edge orange.

kyrlon-spray-paint

I used a clear bumper sticker for the “OSU” but cut out each letter individually, to avoid a shiny square in the middle.

See how its not quite straight?

Yeah, I was stayin’ true to my alma mater and had a couple beers while crafting. Which may also explain this lame attempt at a staged photo.

drink-tray

Have you ever had Mirror Pond? Its a tasty beer from Central Oregon.

I do like the way the tray turned out. Can’t wait to have friends over to watch a little football!

Linked up to the Catch as Catch Can link party at My Repurposed Life.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. So cute katie! Great gift idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I have some Dual paint and some old plastic trays. I think I will try this over the weekend!
    Thanks fo r sharing at My Repurposed Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spray paint! You did a GREAT job taping off that pattern.
    catching you next week,
    gail

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP