Monday, July 11, 2011

I Love Thrifting Party Recap

Saturday was the first ever I Love Thrifting Party. Rashon Carraway (aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting) had the brilliant idea to celebrate a thrifting lifestyle nationwide with I <3 Thrifting!

To join in the fun I hit up two Habitat for Humanity ReStores (who were offering great discounts) and got some great thrifty finds!

At the downtown Portland location, I grabbed some needed supplies such as caulk, grout, and a little terra cotta pot. I also snagged this old ladder.

IMG_2322

I love it! I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do with it, but I’m thinking something with hanging plants or candles on the deck.

My last find at that store was this lonely knob.

knobs

The amazing thing about finding this knob is that I got a dresser off Craigslist for 10 bucks because it was missing a knob. And I found it! So now instead of having to buy 8 new ones, I got one for 50 cents!

After I finished shopping downtown, I headed to the Beaverton ReStore where I met fellow Oregon blogger Denise of Pink Postcard. She is great! It was the first time I’d met another home blogger and it was so fun! We didn’t have a ton of time but it was great to chat for a bit and compare purchases.

ilovethrifting-portland Me, Denise, and the store manager Alex

Denise had been at the store for the morning so she pointed out this great find.

thrifting

I thought about buying it but couldn’t pull the trigger. Neither could Denise. She did get some great deals though! Go check out her blog, Pink Postcard!
I got this old shutter/cabinet door thing. Not sure what I’m going to do with it yet.

portland-habitat-restore

And this fun little lantern (its battery operated!).

lantern

But my best buy of all was this bad boy.

DSCN1914

I guess technically its these bad boys. Even though we’re so far from needing appliances in our not-yet-started kitchen remodel, I had to snag this microwave and wall oven. (Don’t worry, I called and told asked Matt first!)
They’re GE and had been installed in someone’s home but never used (even still had the manuals!), and I got both of them for $570!

The oven alone retails for over $1500. What a steal! I’m so excited about it. That’s $1000 off the oven and throwing in the microwave for free! I am so so happy :)

Thank you to the Habitat for Humanity ReStores, Denise from Pink Postcard, and my beautiful cousin Hannah for helping me celebrate! I had such fun on the first I Love Thrifting day.

DSCN1918  Cousin Hannah and our new BTF (best thrifty friend) Alex

How did you celebrate I <3 Thrifting?

Linked up to the Transformations and Treasures Linky Party at Pink Postcard.

Thanks for visiting Newcomb Home! If you are new here and enjoy your visit, I’d love for you to subscribe for free via email or RSS to stay updated on the latest. Thank you!
x Pin It

8 comments:

  1. yay!! I'm so glad you got one of those cute lanterns :) Love all of your other purchases. Soooo fun to meet up with you. I'm glad it worked out. You got some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fun day!! I can't believe you could't pull the trigger on that light, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The oven and microwave...like whoa!

    Thanks so much for participating!


    Rashon
    www.ilovethrifting.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely Done!!! What a great find. And umm that microwave is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! I *have* THAT KNOB!! -- sorta...

    The Vanity in My seriously-*needs*-to-be-REDONE Under-The-Stairs-"Water-Closet" has an earlier [& slightly more ornately detailed] version of that KNOB! -- I just went in there to CHECK!

    It also has a Back-Disc...and is considerably more worn..

    BTW, super score on the OVENS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yahoo! I'm so glad you joined the party! I have an idea for you with your cabinet door if you haven't already found one... It would be so cool as an address marker! The numbers at the top and the street name underneath- like one of those swanky expensive plaques you have to special order. :) hope you're having a great week. My sis in law and me are planning a pdx Goodwill tour this Friday!! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. De I think I have 3 matching knobs from when you pulled them off the scrap wood pile during our garage sale morning. Would you like them?

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP