Wednesday, June 22, 2011

We're Jammin' (jammin', jammin', jammin')

As I mentioned when I started this ol’ blog, one of my goals this year was to learn how to can food. Last year we subscribed to a CSA box and while I made my best effort to use all the food, sometimes we let it go bad.

What a waste! Ugh, I felt so guilty. Wasting food is the worst.

I loved the CSA box and we’ve subscribed again this year. In an attempt to avoid wasting food, I’m planning to learn how to preserve it. Last weekend was a baby step toward food preservation. I made (freezer) jam!

make freezer jam

A girlfriend and I went to a local organic farm and picked about 12 pounds of strawberries. We were WAY too ambitious when we started. We headed out to the field with 5 buckets – two hours later we’d filled only one and a half and decided to call it a day. I’m pretty sure all of the farm employees were laughing at us.

We headed home and followed the directions on the pectin container to make freezer jam (no sealing the cans yet, we’ll try that later this summer). It was actually much easier than I thought it would be. If I can do it, so can you!

How to Make Freezer Jam

We doubled the recipe to make 2 16-ounce jars. I’m not sure why, but you’re not supposed to do more than 3 batches at a time, so we did three rounds of double batches.

You’ll need (for one double batch):
Ball Instant Pectin (4 tablespoons)
Sugar (1 & 1/3 cups)
Strawberries (3 & 1/3 cups after their smashed)


The easy process:

1. Clean and prep strawberries

strawberry jam
2. Smash smash smash! I don’t have a potato masher so we used the bottom of a clean jar and it worked great.


strawberry freezer jam As you can see, we tried lots of things, but the jar smashed the berries best.

3. Mix together sugar and pectin, stir.

freezer jam 
4. Add in the strawberries, stir a lot more!

how to make freezer jam

5. Pour into jar and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes.

organic strawberry jam

6. Freeze and enjoy!

homemade jam

The jam is delicious and the best part is that there’s only 3 ingredients! I looked at the store-bought jam we have and there’s corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, AND sugar. Lord knows the love handles don’t need aaallll that stuff. Our homemade jam with good, old regular sugar will do the trick just fine :)

Can’t wait for our next food preservation adventure. Next time we’ll have to step up our game and try to can something!

Have you ever canned food? How hard is it?

Linked up to House of Hepworths.

Thanks for visiting Newcomb Home! If you like what you see, please subscribe for free via email or RSS to stay updated on the latest here at Newcomb Home. Thank you!
x Pin It

11 comments:

  1. This is great! I think you should let the raspberries in on the action, as well! Oh, and the peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this look so tasty! i'd love if you came and shared something at my link party! its open all week :)

    Also if you're interested in doing a guest post I would LOVE that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. D, D- I can give you a little info on why not to triple/ how to correctly triple your jam batches from my days in Food Science. Mostly applies to cooked/sealed jams but the knorr or Ball pectin are not commercial grade and if you triple the batch you may need to add significantly more, or use a commercial grade pectin (I remember one called Pom or something similar). Also once you are making cooked jams or even pickles/other veg you will find that for a tripled batch you have to cook for MUCH longer than a single batch and this greatly changes the finished product: your jams will not be as fresh and tangy and your veg will not be crisp also the color will be different.
    So excited to see what you make this summer, I wish we could take a trip to Corvallis and pick the delish blackberries for canning!
    <3 B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good!!! I've already made 6 batches this year. It's super easy. It gets eaten so fast at our house, it's hard to keep stocked. Great way to start preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just bought some strawberries to make some jam!
    I'm your newest follower and can't wait to look around. I'd love if you stop by my place sometime too!
    xoxo
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you had fun! I love making freezer jam with strawberries! Also, try peaches and tomatoes! If I have enough tomatoes in the garden this year I will ship you a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog and the wonderful tips you give in it. I do not mean to insult you in any way but I am not able to subscribe to your great blog at this time because of your use of profanity in it. This may have only been a one time occurrence in the particular date I was reading, yet was still a part of your writing. It is your choice to use that type language, but I do not personally feel comfortable signing up for a blog that does use it.
    Again, you are such an interesting blog writer and I hate that I am not able to sign up as a follower of your blog at this time. If, at some later date, you decide to take this out of your blog and it is no longer a part of it, I would LOVE to be able to subscribe and encourage my readers to subscribe also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous- I'd love to know what you're referring to but since you didn't leave your name or email its impossible to discuss it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this blog is fabulous. In no way have I ever been offended. I find your writing witty and humorous. Everything you have trouble with is completely relatable. You should see my love handles!

    Would recommend this blog to everyone! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out my blog!!! I just did boysenberry freezer jam! Super fun and easy!! Btw...I'm a new follower! :)
    www.moddybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP