Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A New Twist On An Old Classic

Of course I’m talking about my favorite thing… dessert!

Matt and I both love Rice Krispie Treats. He prefers the classic version and I like to add a little peanut butter. Walking to lunch last week at work I walked by a street-side bake sale that had a couple new versions to try using different cereal.

rice krispie treat variation 
I’d love to give credit to the bakers but I can’t remember their names, or the name of the non-profit for which they were raising money. All I remember are their delicious desserts!

I had two bucks at the time which only bought a chocolate chip cookie, but I made a mental note of their two new (to me) variations of the Rice Krispie treat.

Here’s the recipe for Original Rice Krispie Treats  (via)

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
    - or -
  • 4 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Directions
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. 
3. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.


Even though I was anxious to try the new versions, I made some classics for Matt. I mean I guess I can do that for him, considering he did have knee surgery today :)

rice krispie treats
Wow, that photo looks like a Kellog’s ad

The first new twist on the Rice Krispie treat is simply switching out the Rice Krispies for Fruit Loops (I just can’t get myself to type ‘Froot’). You could use any other fruity cereal also.

fruit loops treats

I thought it was delicious, but I love Fruit Loops so it was an easy sell. Matt? Not so much a fan.

The second new variation is SO good. As the picture implies, you use Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies, and add two key ingredients.

rice krispie treats recipe

After the butter and marshmallows are melted, add a 1/2 cup of peanut butter and some cinnamon. I didn’t measure how much cinnamon I used. I’d say three good shakes of the spice jar.

peanut butter rice krispie treats
I just wanted to eat that peanut buttery goodness right out of the pan!

Mmmm… This version is definitely my fave!

rice crispie treats

While it probably wasn’t healthy to have a Rice Krispie Treat taste test for dinner, it sure was fun!

rice krispie treats corn flakes

I did not, however, invite this guy to the taste test. But he had no problem inviting himself.

Diego

I found these two other versions on google: Rosemary Rice Krispie Treats Nutella Rice Krispie Treats

Can’t wait to try them next!

What is your favorite twist on the Rice Krispie Treat?

Did you know that Newcomb Home is on Facebook? I'd love for you to visit our page and be our friend! Its a great way to stay updated on the Newcomb's latest shenanigans.

This post is linked up at House of Hepworths, Someday Crafts and Newlyweds on a Budget. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. So yummy. My absolute favorite is making them with Honey Nut Cherrios or Fruity Pebbles. Although my family's favorite is Cocoa Pebbles. Either way they are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, your cat just thinks he gets some too!
    Love all of these and they look so good I might have to make a batch myself. Hope you are are well and
    have a great weekend...:)

    Andrea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhh I love the classic rice crispies and marshmallows, but I love the thought of putting peanut butter in them!! Obsessed!!!! They are way better homemade, those packaged ones are yucky! hope Matt has a good recovery, my sister had to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought how amazing they would be dipped in melted chocolate, maybe just the simple ones or there may be too many flavors going on!! Now I want to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really good friend of mine has always made them with fruit loops and they are divine! Thanks so much for linking up to last weeks Tutorial Tuesday-I hope you come back and party with us again next week!

    Kari
    Newlyweds on a Budget
    www.morganandkari.com

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP