Matt and I both love Rice Krispie Treats. He prefers the classic version and I like to add a little peanut butter. Walking to lunch last week at work I walked by a street-side bake sale that had a couple new versions to try using different cereal.
I’d love to give credit to the bakers but I can’t remember their names, or the name of the non-profit for which they were raising money. All I remember are their delicious desserts!
I had two bucks at the time which only bought a chocolate chip cookie, but I made a mental note of their two new (to me) variations of the Rice Krispie treat.
Here’s the recipe for Original Rice Krispie Treats (via)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- or -
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.
Even though I was anxious to try the new versions, I made some classics for Matt. I mean I guess I can do that for him, considering he did have knee surgery today :)
I thought it was delicious, but I love Fruit Loops so it was an easy sell. Matt? Not so much a fan.
The second new variation is SO good. As the picture implies, you use Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies, and add two key ingredients.
After the butter and marshmallows are melted, add a 1/2 cup of peanut butter and some cinnamon. I didn’t measure how much cinnamon I used. I’d say three good shakes of the spice jar.
Mmmm… This version is definitely my fave!
While it probably wasn’t healthy to have a Rice Krispie Treat taste test for dinner, it sure was fun!
I did not, however, invite this guy to the taste test. But he had no problem inviting himself.
I found these two other versions on google: Rosemary Rice Krispie Treats Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
Can’t wait to try them next!
What is your favorite twist on the Rice Krispie Treat?
Did you know that Newcomb Home is on Facebook? I'd love for you to visit our page and be our friend! Its a great way to stay updated on the Newcomb's latest shenanigans.
This post is linked up at House of Hepworths, Someday Crafts and Newlyweds on a Budget. Pin It