Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Trick to Make Spray Painting Hardware a Cinch

I bought some hardware at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $1 each. Pretty good, right?

I liked the shape, but the brass finish wasn’t what I was going for and was kinda beat up.

vanity hardware

Of course, I solved this problem with spray paint :)

krylon brushed metallic
I just wanted to share a quick little trick I discovered (everyone probably does this, but it just came to me!). It’ll help you get your hardware spray painted quickly and evenly.
The trick is cardboard.
spraypaint hardware

If you use the screws to poke holes in the sturdy cardboard, then screw on the hardware, it’ll stand up perfectly so you’re able to spray paint the whole thing at once.

krylon metallic spray paint

I placed the cardboard on a crate so it didn’t matter that the screws were poking out.

Just make sure your neighbors aren’t having a little party downwind of your spray paint. Sometimes I am so unaware of my surroundings! Luckily after one spray I noticed them and hid behind the car. And as far as I can tell the car is not brushed nickel!

how to spray paint hardware
I know, I know. I should have primed them!

This worked great for me and now I have nice, brushed nickel hardware! I might use them on the bathroom vanity doors. I have to make sure they match the knobs on the drawers, but I better figure it out because I’m almost done painting. Can’t wait to show you this weekend!

What tricks do you have up your sleeve to paint oddly shaped items?

Linked up at House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Homemaker on a Dime, and The Lettered Cottage. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. You know I never thought about painting those. You have to love the ReStore(I do) $1.oo, score. If you end up using them and they match please let me know how they hold up for you.

    No tricks up my sleeve, but this is a great idea. Thanks!

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trick! As for the spray paint...I've seen the Krylon brushed metallic in stores but haven't had a chance to try it yet. How do you like it? Have you tried any of the other colors? So far I've been sticking to Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze for hardware, but have been wanting to branch out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trick! Totally using this today!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! I definitely had not thought of this before, so thanks for sharing! I'm going to pin this so that I don't forget ;)

    Swing by my blog to see how to make healthy ice cream....no ice cream maker required!!

    -MJ @ MD School Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I have cardboard galore at my house and some hardware that needs to be painted! How has the spray paint held up for you? Last time I tried to spray paint hardware it turned into a complete nightmare! I think I just tried to do too much too fast! These look much better in their new color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great find - those are so stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this too, great minds think alike, giggle. Great tip. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip. I just painted some hardware, and it was clumsy at best. I'll try this technique next.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Shop for Ace Hardware Paint Supplies like Paint Rollers, Paint Brushes, Interior Paints, Glues, Lubricants, Glass Cutting Tools etc..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job! I finally got rid of all the brass in my last house. Then I moved. I've got brass all over the place here!

    I replaced almost every door knobs in my new house. Out with the brass, in with the oil rubbed bronze (love them!) but I still have brass hinges. I guess I could take all the hinges off of my doors and paint them? That sounds like a pain and I don't know if the paint will get chipped as the hinge goes back and forth? I didn't replace the knobs solely for cosmetic reasons (they were all keyed locks and I didn't want that). I guess I could buy new hinges that are oil rubbed bronze. I'm just frugal. And lazy. But the hinges are sure pulling away from the beauty around here. Ideas, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah! Your note didn't include a return email so I hope you see this :) I would try to paint the hinges, to save money. It might be a bit of a pain but I think it will make a huge difference. I have heard of people doing this and I think it will be ok when the hinges move. OR you could be super daring and just tape around the hinges and paint them in place. I would spray the ORB paint in the lid and brush it on, so you don't have to spray paint in the house. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people search for Cheapest Spray Painter. Emphasize on that.

      Delete
  12. I love spray paint.Can't wait to try this trick, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP