Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Talk about your all time backfires…

DSCN1540

Remember when I told you about the awesome hand-me-down light fixture I was going to get from my parents’ dining room? And how lucky I was that my parents save home decor stuff for me when they don’t want it anymore?

Yeah… I totally didn’t play it cool enough.

My mom wants to keep it! I talked up that IKEA fixture so much she’s going to keep it in her dining room. “Mom, when are you replacing that fixture?” “Mom, do you want to go to Lamps Plus this weekend?” “Mom, that fixture sure will look good in my bedroom!”

Fool.

I should have kept my mouth shut :) Lucky for me, I was coveting an IKEA fixture that’s so reasonably priced I was able to go buy my own. The box it comes in is so small!

DSCN1521 Next to Diego for scale. That’s probably not fair. He’s the biggest cat ever. With a really long arm.

I also bought a small white medallion to cover the hole in the ceiling that was hiding under our old fixture.

I started putting it together last night. Despite my difficulty with the no-words IKEA directions I got the thing put together during one rerun of How I Met Your Mother.

The challenge of the fixture was changing it from plug-in to hardwired. With a quick internet search, I found this great tutorial from Our Little Beehive. We followed their easy instructions to install the light in our bedroom.
First we shut off the power to the bedroom (safety!) and Matt helped me figure out how high to hang it.

 DSCN1527 

After I cut the end of the cord off, I put the medallion around the cord before I connected it to the ceiling. To hold the light fixture in place, I tied a knot in the cord above the metal rim (per Our Little Beehive’s Instructions).

DSCN1528
If you’re wondering why the hole in the ceiling is all jacked up, its because we cut it with a bread knife. Not recommended. Probably not safe, and you can see the result is less than ideal. But we’d just moved and didn’t have any tools available.

Then, Matt connected the wires and we flipped the power back on. If you’d like a full tutorial please visit this post from Our Little Beehive.

After my shoulders were sore from screwing the medallion to the ceiling, I realized two things: the medallion is a little too small, and I need to spraypaint the cap nuts white.

DSCN1538 

Its time to make dinner so it’ll be a work in progress for now and I’ll patch and paint the ceiling and spray paint the cap nuts this weekend.

Even with those imperfections its still a big improvement over our old fixture.
When we moved in, the old light was in the corner of the room.

masterfromlisting

But we moved it to the center last year.

http://newcombhome.blogspot.com/2011/02/hold-my-hand.html

and now we’ve replaced it with the fun Knappa light!

DSCN1532

Matt was so excited about it he had to take a nap. Right away.

I love how it provides softer light than the old fixture and has some curved lines in a room full of square furniture and a striped comforter.

DSCN1541

We’ve still got a lot of work to do in the master (can you say accessorize?) but I’m so happy with our new light!

And just because Carl needs a little blog love too.
 DSCN1546

Do you have any fun, off-beat pieces in your bedroom?


Linked up to Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading Party and the Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello. Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Today's May 4th blog on switching out the bedroom light fixture is awesome. Not only was it really helpful, but it made me laugh and laugh, which wasn't good since I have a crummy cold. Keep up the great work Kate and Matt! Babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the light and the paint color of your room! You are right the cats need some blog love too :)
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie I am FREAKING OUT over our master bedroom (after I saw it for the first time last night.) I am trying to decide on paint and a scheme, and I am realizing how much there is to think about and I appreciate you even more. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful light. Love that you were able to hard wire it in too. Great job. Your room is coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog love for Karl! It looks great! FYI - I learned how to fry corn tortilla's last night - it was so easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the light, and the bonus kitty photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the light is awesome! :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful light! Sorry about your luck with your mom! Next time play indifference! haha! It makes a big statement in your room. I love it! :)

    R

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog-- love this light-- following now :-).

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a difference lighting can make! The room looks great. Love the wall color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did a great job! Love the new look. I Featured this post on Saturday. :)

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so, so, so pretty! I love the shape against the deep blue walls. You've got me plotting if there is a room I can use this for...will have to keep thinking though!

    Popping over from Serenity Now!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP