Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Turn Old Wine Bottles Into Water Pitchers (Its Easy!)

For months now I’ve been keeping those twist-off style wine bottles. The glass is pretty and they have caps. I’m sure there are tons of uses for them, right?

Actually, I really think there are. But today I’ll show you how you can spruce up an old wine bottle to make a great water pitcher.

DSCN1680

The pitcher can be used during a party, at a sit-down dinner, or left in a guest room for visitors. And its so easy to make!

You need:
Old wine bottles
Etching cream
A foam brush
Stencil(s)
A sink


DSCN1675 
This is the etching cream we used.

You can use any sticker stencil (or even make your own out of masking tape), but I used my cousin’s awesome Cricut to cut the stencil out of vinyl.
First, remove the labels off the wine bottles. If you’re lacking in the patience department like me, I recommend soaking the bottles in hot soapy water for a while. It makes removing the sticky part of the label much easier.

 DSCN1643 

While the bottles are soaking, make your stencil. It was easy for us with the Cricut, we just printed off the word ‘Water’ on vinyl. If you’re craftier than me you can use masking tape to make your own, but stickers are easier.

 DSCN1646 

When your stencil is ready and your bottle is dry and label-free, place the stencil on the bottle.

DSCN1651

Make sure there aren’t any bubbles in the vinyl so the etching cream doesn’t seep under the stencil. A ruler or popsicle stick works well for this.

DSCN1650

Then, use the foam brush to apply the etching cream. Lay it on pretty thick!

DSCN1655

Let the cream sit on the bottle for a few minutes (read the directions on your etching cream for exact time) and then rinse it off with water.

DSCN1660
Did you notice the bottle switcheroo? Forgot a pic the first time.

Don’t panic when you remove the stencil, because of the water it will look like nothing happened. Even after the third bottle I was exclaiming, “Nothing happened!”

We used both parts of the stencil, for different looks. First, we put the outline of the letters on the bottle so the word ‘Water’ was etched (like the pics above). Then, we put the vinyl letters on the bottle and drew a rectangle around the word with the etching cream.

DSCN1672

A few supplies and 10 minutes can turn your old wine bottles into fun water pitchers!

DSCN1673
 
x

Thanks for visiting Newcomb Home! If you are new here and enjoy your visit, please subscribe for free via email or RSS to stay updated on the latest here at Newcomb Home. Thank you!
x
You can check out other great ideas at:

Serenity Now Crafty Cutter Party     Tip Junkie handmade projects  

Thrifty101 DIY Thrifty Thursday

Home Mayd Kate
        The DIY Show Off  Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Crystal MarcheseMay 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM

    Another trick to getting all the sticky off the bottles from the labels: rubbing alcohol...and a razor blade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute. I can't wait to come to your house and have some wine & water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rubbing alcohol is a great way to get rid of the gunk left from labels. The individually wrapped pads are nice for a little scrubbing action too

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an easy and elegant project !! Great repurposing!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, very elegant water pitchers. They look beautiful. I'd love for you to link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday at www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planning a guest room redo. I will be making one of these water bottles to put in there. Thanks for the great DIY tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I could craft these with you! I had a lot of fun. You can use my Cricut anytime. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for something to use the etching cream on as a easy first timer project, thanks for sharing your idea!

    Deanna

    http://deelitefulcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! So smart! Adding etching cream to my crafy supplies list. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice look! and I see below...spray paint! yeah my favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool idea with outdoor dining weather on its way! Did you order your vinyl online or do you get it at a craft store. I haven't tried cutting vinyl with my Cricut before!

    Thanks for joining my Crafty Cutter party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to get myself a Silhouette! Great idea!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad to find such clear directions. I want to do something like this with wine glasses--maybe numbers or letters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun idea - I never think to do anything like this with my cricut!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those! I will have to try these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cool idea with outdoor dining weather on its way! I already order it from online market. I will keep it in guest room, your blog is best for new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie! I need to make some of these for my grad party. Help?

    Love, Your awesome cousin,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea!! Am planning to do these.. Can you let me know where to get the vinyl sheets.. Thanks a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like that idea. I have been needing some bpa free water bottles in Seattle. This would totally work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really great ideas. I never think about that we can turn the old bottles into such charming bottles. Good job.

    buy instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh! So smart! Now i know what to do with my old wine bottles, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP