Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Muffin Recipe

As the sun shows its face around Portland a bit more each week, I’m sorely reminded of my tendency to hibernate during the winter. My spring and summer clothes are, um, snug.

I’ve been exercising more lately and I’m trying (yet again) to start eating better. One way I do this while not completely depriving myself is by making these yummy lemon poppy seed muffins.

DSCN1721

I originally got this recipe from the Biggest Loser Cookbook. I’ll share the original recipe and my modifications that make it a bit easier (in green).

Note: I always double the recipe (ingredients below are not doubled). If I’m going to be baking anyway, I may as well get more muffins out of it!

Ingredients
I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter Spray
1 cup whole grain oat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fat-tree, artificially flavored vanilla yogurt
3 large egg whites
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

DSCN1710

What? No sugar? No worries, these ingredients make them delish.

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 20 cups of a mini-muffin tin with the butter spray.

In the bowl of the food processor, process the flour for about 1 minute, or until it has the consistency of all-purpose flour and no coarse grains remain. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Sift the mixture twice.

I use Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour and skip the food processor and sifter. If you’re lucky enough (I’m so thankful) to have a stand up mixer, just put all the ingredients in there and mix for a couple minutes, then transfer the dry mixture to another bowl and set aside. If you don’t have a standup mixer you can use a handheld one or a fork.

DSCN1695

My best baking friend.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, egg whites, honey, vanilla extract, and lemon extract with a sturdy whisk or spatula until well mixed.

This recipe was my first encounter with ‘egg whites only’. I wasn’t sure how to separate them! I’m sure I called my mom and she walked me through it. If you’ve never done this, here’s my novice explanation of separating the egg whites.

lemonpoppyseed

Any clever ideas on what to do with the yolk? I feel bad throwing it away, but can’t bring myself to scramble up 3 egg yolks just to avoid wasting them.

Stir in the reserved flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the lemon peel and poppy seeds. Spoon batter into 20 prepared muffin cups.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center of one muffin comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

DSCN1713

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then move muffins to a cooling rack.

DSCN1717

What is your favorite ‘trying to eat healthy but can’t say no to carbs’ recipe?

Sharing this recipe at Southern Hospitality and The Stories of A to Z.

              Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party! Pin It

2 comments:

  1. YUM! These look really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe! i am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, but my recipe is definitely not healthy! I'll have to try these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP