Monday, May 9, 2011

Daydream Believer

Matt and I bought our house because we liked the neighborhood, the big yard, the layout, and the price. We had lots of ideas on how to improve our home but there weren’t any deal breakers. However, there is one thing I often dream of fixing (with a total gut and remodel).

The kitchen.

I haven’t shown you the kitchen because, well, its a mess. I have no motivation to keep it clean or try and accessorize. Its small. There is no room to decorate!

Since I’ve started researching kitchen remodels and want to share our planning process with you, I thought it was about time to share our ‘black sheep’ of a room.

DSCN1629

That’s our kitchen. I could write an entire post about what I don’t like about it, but I won’t bore you with that. I will tell you the top three things I’m excited for:

1. Getting a new fridge (old one leaks)
2. Getting rid of the dropped ceiling and fluorescent lights
3. Having cabinets that work logically with a functioning kitchen (ie. there should be room for the pots and pans near the stove!)

DSCN1631

Oh! And I forgot: More space!

Next to the kitchen and dining room is a covered deck. The roof line extends an extra 8 feet beyond the current kitchen and dining room.

DSCN1513

So the house is practically begging to be bumped out :)

The only first step we’ve tackled is a little bit of research and a rough budget. Matt and I need to get a more detailed budget together before we start knocking any walls down. We’ve researched appliances (more on that later) and have a good idea of what we’re looking for in cabinets and counter tops (two major expenses). Up next on our list is to design a floor plan.

Our current plan looks like this.

Fullscreen capture 592011 91551 PM.bmp

I used Floor Planner (its free!) to bump out the house and draw up an idea of what the house would look like with the extra space.

Fullscreen capture 592011 91748 PM.bmp

A pantry! Storage! So excited! I also love the idea of a built-in buffet in the dining room and the open floor plan of the kitchen and living room. However, I can’t help but think, if we’re doing that much demo anyway… we really have a clean slate.

Fullscreen capture 592011 91903 PM.bmp

The possibilities are endless! Okay, maybe not endless, but we could really switch it up if we wanted. I’m going to have to do some more research. If we’re going to invest a year’s worth of savings in this project, I want to get it right.

I’m hoping when we’re done our kitchen looks something like this

white-kitchen1

Via

Or this

White Kitchen 8

Via

What do you think? Should we just enhance our current layout? Try something completely different?

Do you have any good resources for kitchen plans?

Linked up at HOUSEography’s House Tour Link Party and

 Weekend Bloggy Reading

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Crystal MarcheseMay 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM

    Your kitchen is going to be so beautiful!!! I'm want to come over and cook!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rent. Soooo, my kitchen doesn't really get "hot water" (I have to take the dishes to the utility sink to clean them) the burners on our stove seem to go out randomly and then fix themselves on randomly, and our recycling system is set up so that the paper bags we get from the local grocery store get set against the wall until they are filled up with recyclables, and then we recycle them. Currently, there are 6 bags lined up.

    I'm going to be detailing all the glory of my OWN kitchen remodel on my new blog, Imnotreallygoingtoremodlemykitchenbecauseiamoklivinglikethiseventhoughiknowitissad@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Your dream kitchens are beautiful inspiration. I'm looking forward to see what you do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the idea of expanding - you can never go wrong with a bigger kitchen since that is where people tend to always gather :) Can't wait to see some more ideas and what yall come up with! Would always love to give feedback, ideas, ect if you want:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh love that huge pantry! That is something I don't have but wish i did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you plan!

    However, you might find that such a huge renovation is really costly.

    I would suggest, since I see you have a family room off of the dining room--how about bumping out the wall to your current dining room and make that part of your kitchen. You'd have room for a lot more space. If you still want a formal dining room, you could use the family room or living room for that. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like built in furniture of any sort because you lose all flexibility. What if you want to move that table over there? Or rearrange the room, etc.? You furniture that you can't move. For your bench seat with storage, you might be limited on tables that you can buy that can fit in that corner, which can be frustrating.

    Just some thoughts, I don't want to crush your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have a good start, and you are wise to plan a budget. They say kitchen renos are the most expensive. I love white kitchens too. :)

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a blank slate! So many options!! A kitchen designer might be well worth your money - some cabinet companies offer free kitchen design. Worth exploring!! Thanks for linking up to my house tour party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From what I've learned over the years there are two very important things to consider when doing a remodel of your home.
    1. Is it possible to reuse the current location of plumbing? Moving plumbing can be costly and it can increase the cost of your remodel by a lot if you move things really far. Also, is your house on a slab or do you have a crawlspace/basement? If it's on a slab that can increases the cost of moving/changing the plumbing for your kitchen because you have to dig up the concrete.
    2. Do you know which walls in your house are load bearing? It's possible that if are planning on taking a load bearing wall out that you will either be told it's impossible, or that you will have to purchase a very expensive beam that will support the weight.

    These are both important issues to consider and research! I hope neither are an issue for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP