Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Useful Art for the Kitchen

My first "turn some old, ugly art from goodwill into something great" project is complete. As promised, it was really easy. However, it didn't turn out as the perfectly quaint little piece of art I pictured in my head :) I haven't lost hope though, it could easily be improved.

My husband actually came up with the idea. Matt and I were wandering around Macy's and he saw a spatula with a bunch of measurement conversions on it. He mentioned that it would be convenient to have in the kitchen. I thought, "I can make that!" 

"I can make that" is a declaration that often leaves my lips... my follow through is a different story.

Off I went in search of a frame to use for the project. I found this one during a trip to goodwill.



I used some Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer spray paint in white and some acrylic paint in Leaf Green to paint the frame and matte.

I then googled "kitchen conversions" and used the CSG Networks conversions table. The idea of measuring out a drop, dash, and pinch was fun so I included that information from Robbie's Kitchen website. I don't know anything about either site, just trying to give credit to my conversion sources.

I attempted to use photoshop to spruce it up a bit and then printed out the conversions table using our printer at home.

Diego the dog cat tried to help me photograph it for you.


Once he went outside I got a better photo.


My favorite part.



I like the way the frame and matte turned out, but I don't love it. So far I'm out of creative juices but I may try to rearrange and print it again later. We'll see if I can come up with a more exciting display.

The good news is that I can vouch that its useful! We've already used the chart to figure out how to divide up the water needed for thinset to make smaller batches for tiling. So even if the closest I've come to cooking lately is calling the Spaghetti Factory, its handy for house projects too.

Here's a before and after look at the frame.

And this is how it looks in our kitchen (please forgive the kitchen. Its on the 2011 totally-gut-and-remodel to do list).




Any ideas on how to give it a little more pizazz?


Update! A reader asked for the document I used for this artwork (which totally made me fist pump in the air, so honored!). Here is a jpg file. If you'd like the pdf (better quality) please leave a comment and I'll email you! (I'm having trouble uploading the pdf.) Also, if you blog about it I ask that you kindly link back to this post.


Post linked up at Thrifty Decor Chick and Between Naps on the Porch.

Visit thecsiproject.com 
Pin It

37 comments:

  1. What about using scrapbook paper with a pattern instead of the green border? Anyway, love the blog and the project looks great. I'm totally one of those "Sure, I can do that!" people, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the scrapbook paper idea! Good thing Michael's is open when I get home from work :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an idea for you...actually a few. I come home tomorrow night (thursday). Let's hang.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Can you share the doc with us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Kendra - yes, I think its still a photoshop doc so I'll make it into a pdf and post it. If you message me your email I'll send it to you tonight!
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS!!!! Such a clever idea, I'm ALWAYS popping over to the laptop while cooking to figure out a measurement! lol

    Totally borrowing this idea, thank you!!!!

    www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! Would you pretty please email me the pdf file?

    nurseleslieb@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever and useful! I must make myself one. Thank you for the fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea... I'm with you on the drop/dash/pinch section! I'd love a copy

    Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would so love to have the PDF of this...great idea to frame it! My email is mommyribs at yahoo dot com. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love a PDF of this. It is great! I love the green.
    Saw you on Madigan Made

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an excellent idea! Thank you! I would really appreciate the pdf file being sent to me because it's not working for me.. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would also appreciate the pdf file! What a great idea! I'm doing my kitchen in red/blue/green/yellow, so I'm not sure what route I'll follow, but the scrapbook paper idea sounds good! I found you via Madigan Made, too! Thanks for your time, and keep on creating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to have a pdf version. Such a great idea! Thank you for posting!

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh please send me the PDF! That's perfect for my kitchen! I appreaciate you! Keep on creating such wonderful things! Thanks!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, pretty please, send me a copy of the PDF? Such a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to have this PDF, I'm always going back and forth to get these measurements. My email address is denise_deforest@yahoo.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love a pdf version of the form! beccaod@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would also like a pdf version of your chart. Very good idea!!
    degagnon@cogeco.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. In such things I like to use as the background between the painting and the frame of some unusual background. such as old newspaper or crumpled colored paper.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, could you please send me the PDF :) I am going to use this in my Home Economics classroom!

    Thank you :) Allysa

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://www.carriermaintenance.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. توجة الى الفرع الاقرب اليك من
    صيانه سوني
    و مراكز
    صيانه جليم جاز
    لصيانه كافة الاعطال لدينا فريق عمل متكامل على قدر عالي من الكفاءة الموقع الالكتروني:
    http://www.maintenanceg.com/Sony-Agent-Service-Company.html

    http://www.maintenanceg.com/Glemgaz-Agent-Center-Egypt.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. لا داعل للقلق بعد الان بشأن اعطال الاجهزة الكهربائية لاننا في
    صيانة ويرلبول
    نقدم لك صيانه لكافة الاعطال بايدي متخصصين وقطع غيار اصلية زوروا موقعنا الالكتروني:
    https://www.almyaa.com/Whirlpool-Maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  26. الصيانه المتخصصة من
    صيانة كريازي
    تقدم كافة اعمال الصيانه لاعطال الاجهزة الكهربائية باسعار مناسبة في كافة المحافظات الموقع الالكتروني:
    http://www.kiriazi-maintenance.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. اذا اردت اجتياز امتحان
    معادلة كلية الهندسة
    بتفوق فلدينا في مركز النور افضل وسائل الشرح لمواد
    معادلة الهندسة
    لمساعدتك على التفوق وليس فقط النجاح الموقع الالكتروني:

    http://www.equation-engineering.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. في فروع مراكز
    صيانه وستنجهاوس
    على مستوى الجمهورية احدث الاجهزة والتقنيات في الصيانه الحديثة وفريق عمل من المتخصصين في اعمال الصيانه موقعنا الالكتروني:

    http://egy.help/maintenance/%D8%B5%D9%8A%D8%A7%D9%86%D8%A9-%D9%88%D8%B3%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%A7%D9%88%D8%B3

    ReplyDelete
  29. نقدم لكم في
    دار رعاية مسنين بالجيزة
    وايضا
    دار رعاية مسنين بالمهندسين
    وفي فرع
    دار رعاية مسنين بالهرم

    نمستوى عالي من الرعاية للمسنين من خلال فريق العمل المتكامل للعناية الشخصية ونظافة المكان والرعاية النفسية والصحية الموقع الالكتروني:


    http://www.careolder.com/%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1-%D8%B1%D8%B9%D8%A7%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D9%85%D8%B3%D9%86%D9%8A%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AC%D9%8A%D8%B2%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D9%87%D9%86%D8%AF%D8%B3%D9%8A%D9%86-%D9%87%D8%B1%D9%85



    ReplyDelete
  30. لتغيير ديكور منزلك الخارجي توفر شركة البدر
    قرميد
    باشكال متميزة واسعار مناسبة لكافة العملاء الموقع الالكتروني:

    http://www.brickksa.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. يقدم لك موقع دليل تجهيزات الان افضل الشركات التى تعمل فى مجال صيانة معدات مطاعم
    وايضا صيانة معدات فنادق
    زور موقعنا الان لتختار توكيل الصيانة الذى تريد التواصل معة
    http://maintenance.hotel-restaurant-eg.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. يعتمد مركز صيانة كاريير
    فى الاساس على الصيانة الدوريه والتى تتم بصوره منتظمة للاجهزه تجنبا لاى اعطال تحدث للاجهزة نتيجة لتعرضها للتراب او تعرضها لاى عامل خارجى
    http://egy.help/maintenance/%D9%83%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%8A%D8%B1/

    ReplyDelete
  33. تقدم لك شركة العنود افضل العروض والخصومات عند انضمامك الى عملائنا الكرام تواصل معنا من اجل ابادة حشرات بمكة
    فقط زور مقر شركة مكافحة حشرات بمكة
    للتعرف على عروضنا المختلفة

    http://www.el3nod.com/5/company-anti-insect-termite-Pesticides-mecca

    ReplyDelete
  34. يمكنك الان التواصل مع مركز صيانة جروندنج عن طريق رقم التوكيل او رقم الصيانة والذى يختص بكل فرع من الفروع التى تتواجد داخل المحافظات فلكل فرع رقم محدد يمكنك من خلاله التواصل معنا فى اى وقت على مدار 24 ساعة كما يمكنك التواصل مع مركزصيانة كريازى ايضا نصلك فى دقائق
    http://www.maintenanceg.com/Grundig-Agent-Egypt.html
    http://www.maintenanceg.com/Kiriazi-Agent-Services.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. يتواجد لدينا العديد من فروع مركز صيانة فريجيدير
    فى الكثير من المحافظات حيث انة يتواجد اكثر من فرع فى المحافظه الواحده حسب مساحة كل محافظة وذلك فقط سعيا لخدمات عملائنا الكرام والتواصل السريع مع العميل
    https://www.almyaa.com/Frigidaire-Maintenance/

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP